The evening (Friday, 8-21) started out quite nice with a good size crowd. Botanical Gardens hosted the event and WOW have they done some nice work. Please check them out: www.keywestbotanicalgarden.org All the Candidates were prepped and ready for THREE MINUTES to state their platforms. THEN, a thump of thunder and when Mr. Weekley began his dialogue the heavens opened up and that was that.
We all moved eventually wet and dripping to the church across the parking lot. About 30 minutes later, Mr Weekley began again. So did he get FOUR minutes?? HA!
I was proud and honored to speak and here is the jist:
James Marquardt, Candidate for District 6 City Commission
"We need a Higher Level of OBJECTIVITY, ACCOUNTABILITY, TRUTHFULNESS and a CONNECTION with ALL the people, not just a select group.
"We need to focus on Green and Clean energy. There is no reason our little Island in the middle of the gulf should not be self sufficient in De Sal water, Refuse to energy and a recycle program that is fair and REWARDS both business and private homes. Not penalize.
"We need to focus on historic conservation, cooperative involvement, creative local economic development. Making a difference in ALL our lives not a select group.
"We need to employ LOCALLY not what we are sometimes greeted by at our restaurants and other business's.
"We need to invest in our youth. There is a wonderful and successful program in District 6. The workforce training. These young adults have decided to get off there seats and be a part of positive change. Some business' will not hire them do to their address or skin. Even when they are OVER qualified. So, this training program is allowing them to participate in a Community based training program for Electricians, Plumbers and Carpentry. Their test scores are 95+ which is fantastic. When I visit the job site or sit in on a class, they are so happy someone cares! I will support these young adults and support 100% of any organization that will do this type of Positive change. Their families are getting involved and their friends are noticing. The next class has 18 registered!
"I have a DEMONSTRATED and PROVEN record with affordable housing and fighting for this community.
"I am a person of INTEGRITY and CHARACTER, not like what I was approached with last week.
"Together you and I will be a part of Positive Change. REAL change not politics as usual. Together we will be an active and engaged community creating real results.
"Since the gentleman before me brought up change as not that important, I would like to point out that this Country embraced real change and placed and African American in the most powerful seat in the world.
"This race is not about black or white, gay or straight. It is about the best person to do the job and that person is me, James Marquardt. I thank you for your vote."
Political advertising paid for and approved by James Marquardt, Candidate FOR Key West City Commission, District 6.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment