Sunday, August 26, 2009 was the International Day Of Remembrance for the victims of the Transatlantic Slave Trade and its abolition. This was held at the site of the 1860 African Cemetery Memorial Project.
Many of the founders and original workers on the project, dignitaries, etc., were present.
Guest story teller Madafo Wilson engrossed the gathering with a riveting dramatization of life.
I was asked to read as others at each station. My symbol was Nyame Biribi Wo Soro. God, I know there is something in the Heavens. Symbol of Hope and Faith.
Even in the worst of circumstances, God is always there. This timeless knowledge has been preserved in an African American gospel song, "...Up above my head, I hear music in the air, Up above my head, there's a heaven somewhere"; and in a wise Brazilian proverb: "Don't tell God that you have a great problem. Tell your problem that you have a great God."
I was proud and honored to be a part.
Thursday, August 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment